Every now and then, I catch myself feeling frustrated that I’m not where I want to be at that particular point in time.
And then there are moments when I get so caught up in tiny details, which in reality make no difference whatsoever:
- Should I name my business my personal name or a brand name?
- Should I work from home or go to a coffee shop?
- I don’t have the time right now
- I don’t have the money right now
At the end of the day, these are nothing more than poor excuses for not taking action. The truth is, there are people who have started super successful businesses doing things in every different way imaginable, whether that’s as a brand or a personal name, working from home or a coffee shop, as a full-time entrepreneurial pursuit or a side gig.
In these moments, I try to remind myself that some of the greatest leaders in the world, people I like to call Giants, have come from far tougher circumstances than I have and gone on to make a massive impact in the world.
If you find yourself feeling limited by the circumstances around you, here are three helpful questions from the book Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman:
- Is it permanent? When bad things happen to us, we tend to think that the story’s over and that’s that. But this is almost never the case. If you’re still breathing, there’s still a way forward.
- Is it pervasive? One unlucky break doesn’t mean your whole life is ruined. There is likely so much more you can still be grateful for in your life.
- Is it personal? Something bad happening did not physically seek YOU out before it decided to make its appearance. The traffic, the lost keys, the dropped phone; is it really because of you?
And finally, remember this little quote I like to come back to again and again: “Every challenge you’re currently experiencing will one day be a part of your success story.”
Where are you making excuses for not taking action? Try to see that it’s not permanent, pervasive or personal as you get grateful for what you do have and focus on your next step.
LIKE THIS ARTICLE?
Subscribe below to get these daily insights delivered straight to your inbox. I also share updates on products and services. Unsubscribe at any time.